Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Tattooed Poets Project: Kait Burrier

Every year I feature at least one poet who I've met face-to-face and talked tattoos. This year, it's Kait Burrier, who I met last July at the NYC Poetry Festival on Governor's Island.

Kait posed for this photo for me:


Here's a closer look:


Kait explained the origins of this tattoo:
"Brittany, France is covered in triskels. Scranton, PA artist Mike Frenchko, formerly of Slingin' Ink and now at Electric City Tattoo, drew up my tattoo after I'd shown him a few images of this Celtic symbol. My tattoo brings me back to Quéven, a dreamy Breton seaside town with an incredible theater community that taught me about craft, communication, gratitude, and the tragicomedy of the human condition. They gave me a souvenir clown nose, but I've misplaced it; a tattoo seemed harder to lose."
Kait shared the following poem, which she wrote "in response to the William Carlos Williams poem The Young Housewife, reimagining a different scenario for his poem's subject." It appeared previously both in a zine printed by the Breaking Ground Poets and online at Inknode.

The Young Homeowner
after William Carlos Williams

When it is warm enough to strip
plastic seals from window sills
she will allow the sun
to dress her.
Neighbors will just
have to deal
with her nipples.

~ ~ ~

Kait Burrier writes poetry, drama, and to-do lists. Since moving to New York City in 2014, she has facilitated workshops, shared her work at local venues and in college classrooms, founded and hosted Union Square Slam, co-hosted At the Inkwell reading series, volunteered with Out of the Binders, Inc, wrote as artist in residence at Lemons Brook Farm, and worked in publishing, bookselling, and as a freelancer. She holds a M.F.A. (Wilkes University, ’14) and received the 2013 Wilkes-Etruscan Press prize. Visit www.kaitburrier.com for updates and publications.

Thanks to Kait for sharing her tattoo and poem with us here on the Tattooed Poets Project on Tattoosday!

This entry is ©2016 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: