Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tattoos In the News: Hilo on My Mind

Tattoosday may be a New York City-based blog, but we here at the home office have roots deep in Hawai'i. We showed a whole slew of islands-based ink back in our "Tattoosday Goes to Hawai'i" posts back in 2010 (this tag lets you see most of those entries).

I was on the phone with my mother yesterday and she told me that the cover of the local Hawaii Tribune Herald featured "Hilo's Illustrated Man," a guy named Bryston "Sonny" Savella:


The full article here details how Savella was inspired by images of people who had Route 66 tattoos. He wanted a similar concept, only with images from the town of Hilo.


Among the expected sights, his work also features "...a Big Island Candies dipped cookie ... and a smorgasbord of menu items from Ken's House of Pancakes." 


The work is credited to local artist John Butler, who is owner and operator of Tattoos by Butler.

It's a great article and a nice slice of Hawaiian life for a quick read. I encourage you to check out the piece and see Butler's work on his Facebook page. You may even want to book an appointment on your next trip to the Big Island!

Mahalo to my mom for tipping me off and to Savella and Butler for combining forces on this Hawaiian-style project!

This entry is ©2012 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: