Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Tattooed Poets Project: Kim Addonizio's Blue Roses


When first embarking on this tattoo project, nearly everyone I asked referred me to Kim Addonizio. I'd venture to say she is the poet most well-known as "tattoo-friendly". In part, this is due to her editing an anthology called Dorothy Parker's Elbow: Tattoos on Writers, Writers on Tattoos.

Graciously, Kim accepted my invitation to participate in Tattoosday's National Poetry Month project. She sent me the photo above, her fourth tattoo. I love the blue roses that set this piece apart from most lower back tribal tattoos.

Kim told me:

"The piece was done ... in Santa Barbara. It was the worst tattoo experience I ever had. (I have five tattoos). In the middle of it [the artist] took a phone call, saying, "Oh, hi. I'm tattooing a crack." I like the tattoo, though. There wasn't any particular significance to the design, for me, though afterwards I thought about Laura Wingfield in Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie being called Blue Roses by her Gentleman Caller, and so it's become a bit of a reminder to myself, when I'm feeling fragile, to take a risk rather than withdraw."


She had this tattooed in 1994 and has added one more to her collection since then.

Be sure to head on over to BillyBlog to read one of Kim's poems. And although not every poem written by an inked poet appearing on BillyBlog this month is tattoo-related, Kim's is.

Thanks very much to Kim Addonizio for sharing her tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!

1 comment:

Rebecca V. O'Neal said...

great post. my favorite poem of all time is a kim addonizio poem ABOUT tattoos so it only makes sense that she'd have a few.

:)