Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A Triple Shot of Kings Avenue Greatness

When I run into a tattoo artist in public, it's always a treat. Last week I spotted a gentleman with his baby outside of Federal Hall in lower Manhattan and lo, and behold, it was someone I knew.

I didn't recognize him, at first, but when I asked first if he was a tattoo artist and second, where he worked, I knew that when he said Kings Avenue Tattoo (@kingsavetattoo) on Bowery, that I probably already knew him.

I had run into Jason June (@jasonjunetattoos), whose work I have been familiar with ever since he first inscribed a "13" on my wife Melanie on a cold Friday the 13th back in 2009 at Daredevil Tattoo (@daredeviltattoo). 

I have since featured a lot of work by Jason on Tattoosday, most recently this amazing lobster.

The tables were turned and I asked if he wouldn't mind sharing some of the work others had inked on him. He was more than happy to oblige and I pointed out this piece which had jumped out at me:


This stunning koi was inked by Will Lollie (@williamlollie) at the Kings Ave shop.

He also offered up these two pieces behind his knees, in the "ditches," as they say:


The piece on the left was done my the heart behind Kings Avenue, shop founder Mike Rubendall (@mikerubendall). The piece on the right was tattooed by the insanely talented Chris O'Donnell (@codonnell_nyc).

It is rare that I get such a veritable treat of outstanding work outside of a convention, so I was truly thankful that Jason was kind enough to share this work with me.

The amazing thing is that Kings Ave is PACKED with insanely talented artists. If you're unfamiliar with the shop, please check them out and follow them on all media social. You can also click here to see all of the work from the studio that has appeared on Tattoosday over the years.

Thanks again, Jason, for taking the time to share the amazing work with us here on Tattoosday!

This entry is ©2019 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

Thanks Jason!

No comments: