Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Trio of Roses on Anna, in Memory of Amada, by Nikko Hurtado

The Monday after the New York City Tattoo convention last month, I was a bit sad, because I knew that finding quality tattoo work like that which I saw at Roseland Ballroom was going to be a lot more challenging.

I was mulling this over while standing outside of my local laundromat in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, when I noticed a woman in front of Starbucks, across the street. She had an armful of black-and-gray ink, so I wandered over to introduce myself, and wow, was I in for a treat.

The woman's name was Anna, and she had lived in Los Angeles, where she had been tattooed by the amazingly talented Nikko Hurtado. In addition to some portraits, he had also inked these roses on her upper arm:


Amada, which means dearly loved, was Anna's grandmother, who loved roses, and who passed away around the time that she got the tattoo. There are three of the flowers, because that is Anna's lucky number.

As mentioned above, these were done by Nikko Hurtado, who works out of Black Anchor Collective in Hesperia, California. Just look at this detail in the work:


Thanks to Anna for sharing these lovely roses with us here on Tattoosday!

This entry is ©2013 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

1 comment:

Jamie Rohrbaugh said...

Hey, I love the use of the word "amada" in this one. It's similar to one of my favorite terms of endearment--"querido"--meaning "wanted" in Spanish. Everybody loves to be loved/wanted, right? :)