Friday, May 7, 2010

Tattoosday Goes to Hawai'i: Jolie's Archipelago

It was the first episode of Miami Ink in which Ami James tattooed a huge piece on surfer Sunny Garcia's mid-section. The subject: the distinct pattern representing the view of the Hawaiian islands (video here).

It wouldn't surprise me if everyone from Hawai'i who has spent time away from "home" has, at some time, if they have a penchant for ink, considered such a tattoo. I know I have.

During my brief stay on Oahu recently, I saw several people with Hawai'i tattoos. But I only took a picture of one, the first I saw, on the calf of Jolie, while I milled about Ala Moana Center:



It seemed fitting to me that Jolie's island chain tattoo was inked not in the Aloha State, but across the Pacific, in Las Vegas, where she was living at the time.

A friend of hers there was tattooing out of a studio in his house and she got this piece because, in her words, "I missed home". Of course, I nodded in understanding.

A hearty mahalo nui loa to Jolie for sharing her Hawai'i tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!

No comments: