Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sarah and the Sea of Stories

Earlier the summer, I met Sarah outside of the Delacorte Theater in Central Park. We were both there to see a production of Othello, and her colorful tattoo caught my eye:


She explained that the tattoo is inspired by Salman Rushdie's marvelous book Haroun and the Sea of Stories. The artwork depicts Butt the hoopoe, flying out of the golden envelope to take the protagonist, Haroun, back to the Sea of Stories.

The tattoo was created by Georgia Grey (@georgiagreytattoos) and done at Bang Bang Tattoo (@bangbangnyc). She now works at Roses and Rebels Tattoo in Jersey City.

Sarah elaborated on the tattoo:
"I love stories and I love the way [Rushdie] writes about old stories and new stories merging together ... the description of the setting sounded like the most magical place you could ever hope to see if you love stories and I couldn't imagine what it looked like myself ... I loved [Georgia Grey's] work so I asked her to render it for me and now I get to keep it forever."
Thank to Sarah for sharing this lovely tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!


This entry is ©2018 Tattoosday.
If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: