Sunday, September 7, 2008

James and His Tree of Life



I spotted this Tree of Life tattoo on Court Street in downtown Brooklyn and started talking to James about it.

It was inked by an ex-girlfriend of his about ten years ago.

The tattoo consists of the tree of life, under which sits Buddha (or The Acorn Man) who is holding a chalice. James pointed out that he is surrounded by a serpent, although it's hard to tell in the piece.

Below it is a rune of protection.

Thanks to James for sharing this tattoo with us here on Tattoosday!


Update: One of My regular readers, Livia Indica, who blogs at NeoPagan Ink, pointed me to this source, the Cernunnos on the Gundestrup cauldron:


James told me it was a Buddha, but the similarity between the tattoo and this Celtic god is worth noting. Thanks Livia!

2 comments:

Livia Indica said...

I think this guy must be a pagan in closet. Well, I tried to enter a link but the thingy won't let me. Look up "Cernunnos on the Gundestrup cauldron" and you'll find this nearly exact figure.

Livia Indica said...

You're very welcome!

Hey when are you gonna show off some of your own ink?