Tuesday, March 11, 2014

J.R. Gets His Moth On (at the NYC Tattoo Convention)

The Village Voice ran a piece this weekend about the New York City Tattoo Convention, including a slideshow called "What Inspired You to Get a Face Tattoo?" It's worth checking out and I was excited to see that the first photo was someone I interviewed as well!

I first snapped a photo of J.R. while he was getting his neck tattooed by Matt Truiano, who works out of Winky Dink Ink in Valley Cottage, New York:


I was later able to get a shot of the finished product later in the day:


Why this piece on the throat?

Simply put, "I just always wanted a moth," he told me.

It was also interesting hearing him describe the best way to get a throat piece, how one had to modify your breathing with the rhythm of the artist, timing the intake of air with the brief pauses the artist makes with the machine.

As an added bonus, J.R. also shared this thigh piece, one of his favorites by Mike Cann at Folk City Tattoo in Suffolk, Virginia:


Thanks to J.R. for sharing his amazing work with us here on Tattoosday!

This entry is ©2014 Tattoosday.

If you are seeing this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.blogspot.com and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: