Saturday, April 7, 2018

FKA René and Christ the Redeemer (The Tattooed Poets Project)

Our next tattooed poet is FKA René, who sent along this tattoo:




René tells us:

"I got this tattoo of Christ the Redeemer at DV8 Tattoos in Concord, CA. I was 18 at the time and wasn’t a writer then. I’ve always been drawn to religious iconography and the concept of God in the traditional religious aspect but also the belief that 'mother can be God.' The poem [below] invokes my mother as a 'master of death,' a common theme seen in much of my poetry with deals with the intersection of border violence and the weight that it carries from generation to generation. 

The Invocation

I asked mother
What is death?

She turned to the southern sun, hand on her waist
Mind on her pistol

Xibalba, land of the dead
Where the skeletons eat sweet bread
Mother
Who shot down death himself
Cracked open tombs
With black hair and
Silver steel

Killed all gods
New and old
Wisest and harshest

I asked mother
What is a god?

Victims of the night and cold steel
I’ve smashed their vials and
Temples
God is found
As the scar I wounded on your tummy
In April, on the day you
Were born

~ ~ ~

FKA René, anti-poet, miso based, AKA Young Ryan, college drop out and the Trap Bukowski tweets from @fka_rene.

Thanks to René for sharing his poem and tattoo with us here on Tattoosday and the Tattooed Poets Project!

This entry is ©2018 Tattoosday. The poem and tattoo are reprinted with the poet's permission.


If you are reading this on another website other than Tattoosday, without attribution, please note that it has been copied without the author's permission and is in violation of copyright laws. Please feel free to visit http://tattoosday.net and read our original content. Please let me know if you saw this elsewhere so I contact the webmaster of the offending site and advise them of this violation in their Terms of Use Agreement.

No comments: